Happy New Year!
Every new year provides a fresh start, but also a time to look back on the events of the previous 365 days. Some people like to start projects like a one second a day video or an online daily journal. In 2015 I took a selfie (almost) everyday of the year and compiled them into a video (a fun/embarrassing/eye opening project I would recommend). This year I’m doing something a little more simple. I created a memory jar that sits beside my bed where I can write small notes about the little things that happened in my day. I will also add the small things I collect from little adventures (business cards from cute shops, event tickets, Chinese food fortunes, photo-booth photos). At the end of the year I’ll empty the jar and have a glimpse into the small, often forgotten things I did in 2017. Here’s how to create your own (it’s extremely simple):
- You can use a shoe box, a tin, anything that will hold your notes
- If you want to go ‘electronic’ you can make notes on your phone or computer
- You can write your resolutions on the front of the as a constant reminder of your goals
- Theme your jar (moments shared with family, small wins of the day, a rating of how each day went)
- Don’t forget to put dates on your notes!
- If you get into the habit of writing something down every night before bed it becomes a habit and you won’t forget
- You can write fun things you did, a funny story, something you’ve been thinking about, anything!
Hope these tips help and inspire you to find a way to remember the small moments that happen this year! Here’s to a happy and healthy 2017!