I am a university student who happens to be involved in a variety of clubs and activities in addition to academics. This keeps me busy and I often find myself running (fast walking) around campus. I have come to rely on my curated collection of items that help me handle my busy life. Here are my top 5 busy day essentials:
- S’well Water Bottle– Because hydration is very important to feeling your best, and bottled water is just plain bad. I have this bottle, and it keeps my water cold all day!
- Noise cancelling headphones– for when you manage to find 37 minutes to sit down and do some work, but you’re in the middle of the caf during lunch rush. I take what I can get and use these headphones to listen to music or just tune out the world. Bonus: also great for wearing to the gym and getting in the groove.
- Planner– whether it be a beautiful, colourful, 300 page daily planner, a wall calendar, or an app on your phone, this is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT tool for staying on top of things. I use this simple one and these pens for colour coding and they work for me.
- Laptop– Probably the most important investment you will make before starting university. Go for something light and portable but powerful enough for what you need. I have a Macbook Pro and love the reliability, battery life, and small size (compared to the old, giant, battery eating PC I used in high school).
- Backpack– People use a wide variety of bags to carry around their things in university. I’ve seen fashionable purses, giant hiking backpacks, and even one guy carrying his books around in a grocery bag! Whatever you choose, make sure it is big enough for what you need and sturdy enough to handle your busy lifestyle. I use this backpack and it’s great! Pro tip: if your style of backpack is as popular as mine, put some sort of patch, keychain, or sticker on it so that during exams you can identify it in a sea of bags at the front of the exam room.
Here are my tips, now go forth and run (around) your campus!